Marriage License Requirements
1. Applicants must apply for the license together.
2. Both must be 18 years old or older.
3. There is no waiting period, blood test, or physical requirements.
4. The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
5. The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
6. Both must present an acceptable form of ID, such as a drivers's license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport, or social security card.
7. There is a $35.50 fee for the license. We accept cash or an in-state check (only from applicants).
Marriage with person under age 18
The following requirements must be met prior to issuing a marriage license if the applicant is under 18:
- 1. Must be 16 years of age. No applicant under 16 may be issued a marriage license without an order from the District Court. The female must be pregnant before the court will issue an order.
- 2. A female minor must make application in the county of her parent's residence, but can get married in another county after she has completed the requirements for the license.
- 3. A Consent to Marriage Form (84-FCC-501) is required. This must be completed, witnessed, signed by the parent or legal guardian* of the minor, and sworn by the deputy clerk. (A guardian must bring the document affirming guardianship).
- 4. One parent or legal guardian* and two witnesses 18 years old or older, must sign the Consent to Marriage Form for each minor.
- 5. If the parents of either minor are divorced, custody papers are required to sign the Consent to Marriage Form.
- 6. Birth Certificate or Drivers License
*Legal guardian must have full guardianship.
NOTE: Kentucky does not marry minors whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky.