Buying or Selling
Buying an Out of State Titled Vehicle
Kentucky requires that an application for title be made within 15 days of purchase.
What you will need:
- Original Out-of-State Title properly assigned by the seller and notarized, if required in that state
- Application for Title/Registration (TC96-182) (See Example)
- Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance for the buyer
- Picture identification
- Social Security Number for each owner(s)appearing on the title or Federal Tax ID Number for companies.
- Certified inspection
Please park your vehicle in the "Reserved for Auto Inspections" spaces located in the Helix Garage, adjacent to our building. If you are unable to bring the vehicle to our office, arrangements may also be made for vehicle inspection through the Fayette County Sheriff's Office at (859) 252-1771. There is an additional $10.00 fee for travel.
Leased vehicles operating on a Kentucky U-Drive-It Permit will not require an inspection.
- Title Lien Statement (TC96-187E) if applicable
Recreational vehicles require a Fire Marshal Inspection
How will Road Usage Tax be calculated?
A 6% Kentucky road usage tax is collected on the retail value. The retail value is either the purchase price or the NADA retail value. If taxing on the purchase price, the seller must disclose the purchase price on the Total Consideration Affidavit (TC96-182), sign and have notarized. (See Example)
|Clerk fee:||$||3.00||- 6.00|
|Plate fee:||$||21.00||per year|
|Lien filing fee if applicable:||$||22.00||- 26.00|
Any delinquent property tax owed may prohibit title/registration.
Special plates are available for additional fees. Click here to see our special plates.
Acceptable Methods of Payment:
Cash, Certified Check, Cashier's Check, Money Order and Personal Check
(Credit cards are not accepted for title or transfer transactions).