Marriage License FAQ

Q: Do I need to make an appointment to get a marriage license?
A: Not at this time.

Q: Do you need a Kentucky ID to get a Marriage License?
A: We accept any government-issued ID.  If available, please bring multiple forms of identification, such as passport, REAL ID, birth certificate, and/or court papers that include name and birthdate.  If you have applied for a REAL ID and have the temporary paper license, that is acceptable.

Q: Who may solemnize a marriage?
A: Ministers or priests in regular communion with any religious society;

    Judges, county judges/executive, justice of the peace;

    A religious society that has no minister and who solemnizes marriages at the usual place of worship, if
    either party belongs to the society.

    KRS chapter 402 has further information concerning marriage license laws.

    We are unable to perform your ceremony at the County Clerk's Office.

Q: Do ministers need to be bonded?
A: No. The law that required this was repealed in 1994.

Q: If we are getting married in another state, where can we get the license?
A: You need to get the license in the state where you are getting married. The license we issue must be used in Kentucky.

Q: We got married out of the country, do we need to register it in your office?
A: No. The country where you got married should send you its official certificate. The County Clerk's office only records licenses that it issues.

Q: How do I change my name after I get married?
A: You will need to take the marriage certificate that we mail to you to the social security office.

Q: Do I have to change my name?
A: No, but you still need to inform the social security office of your marital status.

Q: Where do I obtain copies of divorce records?
A: At the Fayette Circuit Courthouse, 150 N. Limestone St.

Q: Do I need to bring my divorce papers?
A: No. You need only to bring your government-issued ID.