Salvage Process for Owners Retaining and Rebuilding Their Vehicle

What you will need:

If your insurance company has instructed you to obtain a SALVAGE receipt, the following documents and information are required:

  1. Original Title
  2. License plate
  3. Picture identification
  4. Odometer disclosure
  5. Titles printed prior to 3/1/2000 will also require an Application for Title (TC96-182).

Speed titles are available for an additional fee.


Title fee: $ 9.00 ($25.00 if speed title)
Clerk fee: $ 3.00
Current year property tax  

Any delinquent tax owed may prohibit titling.



When you have REBUILT your vehicle you will need:

  1. Salvage Title
  2. A Certified inspection is required to verify repairs to the vehicle. This inspection cannot be completed until all repairs have been made to the vehicle and you have received your salvage title from the Department of Transportation.
  3. Application for Title/Registration (TC96-182)
  4. Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Assembled from Wrecked or Salvaged Motor Vehicles (TC96-215Follow the instructions on the back of this form carefully. (See Example)
  5. Submit these forms and all receipts for repairs to the Department of Transportation, 200 Mero St., Frankfort, KY 40622
  6. The Department of Transportation must issue written authorization allowing us to register and title the vehicle.
  7. Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance


Title fee: $  9.00 ($25.00 if speed title)
Clerk fee: $  3.00
Plate fee: $21.00 annual registration
Inspection: $  5.00 ($15.00 if the inspector comes to you)

Special plates are available for additional fees.

To arrange for an inspector to come to you, call the Fayette County Sheriff at (859)252-1771.

Acceptable Methods of Payment